Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Coined for Fame and Glory City Doctor creates a World Record for `Largest Foreign Coins Collection’ with 6500 coins

Coined for Fame and Glory
City Doctor creates a World Record for
`Largest Foreign Coins Collection’ with 6500 coins


Geoffrey Cope once said, “Art in the form of coins is not only what we study but the emotion when we hold a piece of history.” Who would subscribe to this statement more than 72-year-old Dr. Upendra Chandrakant Shanghvi, who has amassed a huge tract of contemporary history with his collection of 6500 foreign coins and has created a world record for the `Largest Foreign Coins Collection’, jointly with his daughter-in-law, Mrs. Kavita Mehul Shanghvi.

Acknowledging the tremendous feat of both these numismatists, the Punjab-based, Indian body of Unique World Records, bestowed their recognition and awarded the duo with a Certificate for their distinctive achievement in Mumbai, recently. A visibly emotional albeit ecstatic Dr. Upendra Shanghvi said, “As a child, I used to watch my father collect international stamps and that hobby of collecting sort of grew on me. It has taken me more than 30 years to put this collection together during the course of my travels all over the world. I was partnered in my quest by my daughter-in-law Kavita, who nurtured a keen interest and joined me in compiling this collection. This collection is a symbol and sign of our times from different cultures, countries and people in contemporary times.”  
Juggling between her dual roles of a housewife and business woman dealing in window blinds, Mrs. Kavita Shanghvi also beamed with pride on this achievement, saying, “After my marriage, I was enchanted with my father-in-law’s hobby and followed in his footsteps. Every time I saw and touched the coins, it actually felt like holding a piece of history in my hands. Travelling and touring the world is a passion in our family, which has given us the opportunity to actively pursue this hobby.”

An entry into the Limca Book of Awards is also on the anvil as Dr. Shanghvi’s collection of 6500 coins is miles ahead of the current listed record of 1114 coins. History has actually been made in this household, as with this feat, the family now holds three world records. Mrs. Kavita Shanghvi’s elder son Parth Shanghvi dived into glory by becoming the `World’s Youngest Scuba Diver’ at the age of 10 while her younger son, Krish Shanghvi jumped from the high heavens to become India’s `Youngest Sky Diver’ at the age of 8 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment